[scl.org] Image naming for centos-based images

Honza Horak hhorak at redhat.com
Wed Oct 21 06:14:07 UTC 2015

On 10/20/2015 11:29 PM, Honza Horak wrote:
> Anyway, there is still the risk of using names without rhel7 and centos7
> suffix like `centos/mariadb-100` or `rhscl/mariadb-100`, that user won't
> be sure what is the OS version in the container -- that is considered
> relevant in more parts of
> https://github.com/projectatomic/ContainerApplicationGenericLabels/blob/master/vendor/redhat/names.md.
>
> That ^ is also the view I'm more leaned towards, simply because I agree
> with the points in the document above and because I don't think platform
> version makes any harm in the name.

Thinking about a typical example where platform matters -- let's say a
developer wants to speed-up a ruby application, so he implements a part
of it as a binary extension (written in C and using a library from the
base OS).

The developer builds the app locally, so the rubygem links to the
particular system library (libfoo.so.2). Once our images would move from
rhel7 to rhel8, his application wouldn't work any more, because we have
libfoo.so.3 in rhel8.

Honza