Re: [scl.org] Image naming for centos-based images

On 10/07/2015 11:40 AM, Karanbir Singh wrote:
variant B: centos/mariadb:10.0

* less complicated * no redundancy * it is similar to what docker
hub uses for official images now

adding a few more bits here for B :

* pretty much the standard way for the entire docker ecosystem to work
on right now ( that redhat is largely absent from )

Fair point. Anyway, what a sane user actually does IMO is not `docker pull mariadb`, but rather `docker pull mariadb:5.5`. And since `docker search centos/mariadb` doesn't show available versions, how can user know which versions are available? there is only centos/mariadb in the output.

So, user can only guess what versions are available or can find it somewhere else.. in the case there would be the version in the image name, it would be listed in the search output, which seems like a benefit for user to me.

Btw. did you know that there has been already centos/mariadb available on docker hub?

* provides scope for future expansion as we abstract away from
delivery mechanics to focus on payload

I still don't consider this to be related to delivery mechanism.

* allows for distro decompose and co-exist in a 'as default' manner (
admittedly arguable! )

A relatively sane proof for this model is looking at how many people
run a 'yum install mariadb' V/s 'yum install
mariadb-5.5.44-1.el7_1.x86_64' when they want a mariadb install;
having a centos/mariadb and using tag space to extend the multiple
version availability, allows us to extend the same user expectation.

Sure, nobody runs 'yum install mariadb-5.5.44-1.el7_1.x86_64' and just uses `mariadb`, but we must realize that users always install RPMs for the correct platform (nobody configures yum to install el6 packages on el7) and we also provide only one version of the mariadb in the system, so users are sure what version they get. Once there are more versions (as SCLs or if we find any other format), users will install particular version -- `yum install mariadb55`, because they care (in most cases).

Docker is new in this sense because you have all versions build on various kernels on one heap. This is not something we have experience with in RPM world.

As mentioned in this thread [2], there is a new API spec being
prepared [3], which will be a chance to change naming scheme to
something less redundant, if the current way proofs to be
problematic.

[1] isnt complete so its clearly a work in progress, how about we just
work on getting that complete now and address the whole piece together
? or is the SCL portion left as TBA allowing the scl space to do
something completely different ?

The SCL part is there already, but covers only RH registry. I wish we could sync on one schema over Fedora/RHEL/CentOS as well, but I don't see a compromise here, that would be fine for all. Or maybe missing willingness to accept some compromise, I don't know.

Secondly, if you consider the inertia against looking at a change now
largely driven by we-already-have-something, what are the chances that
this is going to go away when the api-spec comes up ( and we have even
more water under the bridge ? ).

IMO the chance would be big enough if we'll be convinced the current way is not good enough for users. If we'll see the current way is fine for them and doesn't make any troubles, then why changing it..