Re: [scl.org] Image naming for centos-based images

On 10/20/2015 11:29 PM, Honza Horak wrote:
Anyway, there is still the risk of using names without rhel7 and centos7
suffix like `centos/mariadb-100` or `rhscl/mariadb-100`, that user won't
be sure what is the OS version in the container -- that is considered
relevant in more parts of
https://github.com/projectatomic/ContainerApplicationGenericLabels/blob/master/vendor/redhat/names.md.

That ^ is also the view I'm more leaned towards, simply because I agree
with the points in the document above and because I don't think platform
version makes any harm in the name.

Thinking about a typical example where platform matters -- let's say a developer wants to speed-up a ruby application, so he implements a part of it as a binary extension (written in C and using a library from the base OS).

The developer builds the app locally, so the rubygem links to the particular system library (libfoo.so.2). Once our images would move from rhel7 to rhel8, his application wouldn't work any more, because we have libfoo.so.3 in rhel8.