[scl.org] Image naming for centos-based images

Honza Horak hhorak at redhat.com
Wed Oct 21 06:29:34 UTC 2015

On 10/20/2015 11:29 PM, Honza Horak wrote:
> 3) I suggested that maybe we could use aliases to solve some of this...
> you can still provide a "mariadb" docker alias for the seamless "i don't
> care what i get" experience, but still maintain multiple streams of
> versions/etc by backing that alias with a more specifically named pull
> spec, like the names we use today.

I like it, it is quite easy to create such an alias when building images
maunally (`docker tag centos/mariadb-100-centos centos/mariadb`), but
I'm worried about how to do it within OSBS -- the aliases would have to
be practically layered images with different 'name' LABEL, which implies
different hash.

Those layered images would inherit all other metadata, so it will work
for users, but would be tough to keep the layered image updated as soon
as the original one updates.

So, a better solution would be to do it properly in RCM, because we use
something like this already for base images -- there are both rhel7.1
and rhel7 images (which currently is a bit troublesome because the
latest build is tagged as rhel7, not the latest name). But if we fix
this and allow this approach to be used generally, that would be great
and should solve all of this.

Honza