[scl.org] Image naming for centos-based images

Jim Perrin jperrin at centos.org
Wed Oct 21 12:23:44 UTC 2015

On 10/21/2015 01:14 AM, Honza Horak wrote:
> On 10/20/2015 11:29 PM, Honza Horak wrote:
>> Anyway, there is still the risk of using names without rhel7 and centos7
>> suffix like `centos/mariadb-100` or `rhscl/mariadb-100`, that user won't
>> be sure what is the OS version in the container -- that is considered
>> relevant in more parts of
>> https://github.com/projectatomic/ContainerApplicationGenericLabels/blob/master/vendor/redhat/names.md.
>>

>> That ^ is also the view I'm more leaned towards, simply because I agree
>> with the points in the document above and because I don't think platform
>> version makes any harm in the name.
>
> Thinking about a typical example where platform matters -- let's say a
> developer wants to speed-up a ruby application, so he implements a part
> of it as a binary extension (written in C and using a library from the
> base OS).
>
> The developer builds the app locally, so the rubygem links to the
> particular system library (libfoo.so.2). Once our images would move from
> rhel7 to rhel8, his application wouldn't work any more, because we have
> libfoo.so.3 in rhel8.

This level of breakage happens outside containers even in the minor
point release updates. This was shown quite recently with the
ImageMagick update in 6.7 [1]. To me this isn't a good enough
justification (on the community side) to duplicate names. None of the
fedora containers specify OS version, nor to the CentOS containers.

For RHEL support and RH's own container registry it's fine and the
occasional edge case makes sense there. From the community perspective,
we should align with where the entire ecosystem as a whole is going.

Right now we're lagging in usage, and doing things very differently from
what the ecosystem expects is only going to further isolate us.

In the world of containers, the application is the visible component,
not the OS. It's a shift away from what we've been doing for the last
decade, but it's happening.

1.
https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/epel-devel/2015-July/011419.html

--