Re: [scl.org] Image naming for centos-based images

On 10/22/2015 12:13 PM, Michal Fojtik wrote:
I think one of the main reason (AFAIK) we used "-rhel7" and "-centos7"
suffixed for the images
was that we simply used one repository ("openshift/") and we needed to
have a way to distinguish
between rhel7 and centos7 images.

Now, when we are pushing the images to "centos/" namespace on DockerHub,
this is not longer required
I think, because "centos/ruby-22-centos7" sounds just weird :-)

Similar to the RHEL7 images that we will ship via
registry.access.redhat.com <http://registry.access.redhat.com> where we
push only RHEL7 based
images, we can relax the suffix.

Well, the discussion is not about whether removing centos/rhel alone, which really is redundant -- it's mainly about the version piece, which doesn't make sense without the rhel/centos part.

<snip>

    We're trying to make them consistent at least in the community
    space, without making them needlessly complex or redundant. To
    your question, I would posit that in the community space, it
    doesn't matter. The container users simply aren't interested in
    whether they're based on fedora 21 or fedora 22. The users are
    after the application, not the OS. The OS itself is largely
    invisible in the container ecosystem except as a host or base
    container.

Totally agree if we really speak about application. But is ruby base image an application? It is rather a tool to create applications on top of it, where the rest of the system matters.