[scl.org] Image naming for centos-based images

Honza Horak hhorak at redhat.com
Thu Oct 22 10:56:38 UTC 2015

On 10/22/2015 12:13 PM, Michal Fojtik wrote:
> I think one of the main reason (AFAIK) we used "-rhel7" and "-centos7"
> suffixed for the images
> was that we simply used one repository ("openshift/") and we needed to
> have a way to distinguish
> between rhel7 and centos7 images.
>
> Now, when we are pushing the images to "centos/" namespace on DockerHub,
> this is not longer required
> I think, because "centos/ruby-22-centos7" sounds just weird :-)
>
> Similar to the RHEL7 images that we will ship via
> registry.access.redhat.com <http://registry.access.redhat.com> where we
> push only RHEL7 based
> images, we can relax the suffix.

Well, the discussion is not about whether removing centos/rhel alone,
which really is redundant -- it's mainly about the version piece, which
doesn't make sense without the rhel/centos part.

<snip>

>>     We're trying to make them consistent at least in the community
>>     space, without making them needlessly complex or redundant. To
>>     your question, I would posit that in the community space, it
>>     doesn't matter. The container users simply aren't interested in
>>     whether they're based on fedora 21 or fedora 22. The users are
>>     after the application, not the OS. The OS itself is largely
>>     invisible in the container ecosystem except as a host or base
>>     container.

Totally agree if we really speak about application. But is ruby base
image an application? It is rather a tool to create applications on top
of it, where the rest of the system matters.

Honza