[scl.org] Image naming for centos-based images

Jim Perrin jperrin at centos.org
Thu Oct 22 12:25:35 UTC 2015

On 10/22/2015 05:27 AM, Petr Pisar wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 22, 2015 at 12:13:43PM +0200, Michal Fojtik wrote:
>> I think one of the main reason (AFAIK) we used "-rhel7" and "-centos7"
>> suffixed for the images
>> was that we simply used one repository ("openshift/") and we needed to have
>> a way to distinguish
>> between rhel7 and centos7 images.
>>
>> Now, when we are pushing the images to "centos/" namespace on DockerHub,
>> this is not longer required
>> I think, because "centos/ruby-22-centos7" sounds just weird :-)
>>
> What will happen once centos8 is released? Do you think then executing
> centos8 image on centos7 or vice versa will be supported?

Bearing in mind that the community definition of 'supported' is much
less stringent (e.g, best effort by whoever chooses to answer) than for
paying customers, yes. We currently have docker on CentOS 6 via EPEL
where users run centos 7 images. We have CentOS 6 and even CentOS 5 base
containers. Users are running these on Ubuntu, Debian and MacOS already
with varying levels of support and success.

That said, for layered containers I don't plan to maintain duplicates
where the only differentiation is the OS.

If ruby20 is based on C6 but ruby22 is based on C7, I'm okay with that.

--
Jim Perrin