[scl.org] Image naming for centos-based images

Jim Perrin jperrin at centos.org
Thu Oct 22 12:30:36 UTC 2015

On 10/22/2015 06:10 AM, Michal Fojtik wrote:
> I think the question here is really how we will tag the ruby/python/etc
> images then.
> Now we deal just with centos7, so we can have centos/ruby-20 (or
> centos/ruby even).
> How when centos8 will be out, centos/ruby-20 will be based on centos8? What
> will happen
> to centos7 images? How users will know what base those images have? ;-)

Via the documentation for the image and the Dockerfile used to create
it, which should be linked. For example ->
https://hub.docker.com/r/gitlab/gitlab-ce/

Users wanting to run gitlab in a container get it from here. It doesn't
advertise what the base is, but anyone curious can simply click the
'Dockerfile' tab on the page to see.

> On Thu, Oct 22, 2015 at 1:03 PM, Honza Horak <hhorak at redhat.com> wrote:
>
>> I expect we want the centos-based images be run everywhere, not only
>> centos, but on Fedora, Debian or even Windows if possible.
>>
>> Honza
>>
>> On 10/22/2015 12:31 PM, Michal Fojtik wrote:
>>
>>> That is good question :-)
>>>
>>> On Thu, Oct 22, 2015 at 12:27 PM, Petr Pisar <ppisar at redhat.com
>>> <mailto:ppisar at redhat.com>> wrote:
>>>
>>>     On Thu, Oct 22, 2015 at 12:13:43PM +0200, Michal Fojtik wrote:
>>>     > I think one of the main reason (AFAIK) we used "-rhel7" and
>>> "-centos7"
>>>     > suffixed for the images
>>>     > was that we simply used one repository ("openshift/") and we needed
>>> to have
>>>     > a way to distinguish
>>>     > between rhel7 and centos7 images.
>>>     >
>>>     > Now, when we are pushing the images to "centos/" namespace on
>>> DockerHub,
>>>     > this is not longer required
>>>     > I think, because "centos/ruby-22-centos7" sounds just weird :-)
>>>     >
>>>     What will happen once centos8 is released? Do you think then executing
>>>     centos8 image on centos7 or vice versa will be supported?
>>>
>>>     -- Petr

Jim Perrin