[scl.org] Minutes from CentOS SCLo SIG sync-up meeting on #centos-devel (2016-01-13)

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at redhat.com
Thu Jan 14 06:35:23 UTC 2016

On Thu, Jan 14, 2016 at 3:33 AM, Honza Horak <hhorak at redhat.com> wrote:
> #topic review of how development of new scls is working
>   rought proposal: building packages -> candidate -> sanity testing ->
> testing -> [wait till rhscl is released] -> tag released -> sign&release
>   - usual tagging process: tag -candidate -> [sanity testing] -> tag
> -testing -> [better testing] -> tag -released -> sign&release
>   - how it will be done for collections that gonna be released in RHSCL in
> the future?
>   - idea: such collections should stay in -testing until they are released
> in RHSCL -- bad idea? shout now.

What's the scope of discussion here in terms of "sclo-*" SCLs and "rh-*" SCLs?

For "sclo-*" SCLs, I'd expect the RHSCL release cycle to be entirely irrelevant.

For "rh-*" SCLs, having them remain in -testing until the downstream
release (so they become generally available to RHEL & CentOS users at
the same time) seems reasonable.

So if someone wanted to take an existing rh-* package and turn it into
an sclo-* package that could be updated independently of the RHSCL
release cycle, they'd be free to do that.

Cheers,
Nick.

--
Nick Coghlan
Fedora Environments & Stacks

Software Development Workflow Designer & Process Architect