[scl.org] 2 questions on software collections

Honza Horak hhorak at redhat.com
Tue Jan 5 15:49:22 UTC 2016

On 01/04/2016 09:22 PM, Langdon White wrote:

> On 12/26/2015 04:07 AM, Natxo Asenjo wrote:
>> hi,
>>
>> 1st: foor rhel/centos 6 are software collections only available for 64
>> bit arch or are there plans for i686 too?
>>

> As far as Red Hat is concerned, we make decisions like this based on
> customer feedback. If you are a customer, feel free to file a bug/RFE
> through your usual channels and follow the PR announcements regarding
> plans. However, we are not the only contributors, so other people may
> plan to do i686 versions.

Based on my experience with rebuilding collections for x86_64, where we
could use already existing builds for bootstrapping, rebuilding for i686
would be quite challenging, because everything would have to be
bootstrapped from scratch. But I don't want to scare anybody, if there
is enough demand, I definitely won't be against, it would just need a
lot of work.

>> 2nd: how do I switch permanently to the version of the sotfware
>> collection for a user? If I run
>>
>> $ scl enable rh-perl520 bash
>> after logging off and on I get back to system perl version. Adding
>> that line to ~/.bash_profile seems to do the trick. Is this the
>> correct way to do it?
>>

> I wrote a quick blog post about this some time back. I think this is
> still something we would like to see a better solution(s) for.
>
> http://developerblog.redhat.com/2014/03/19/permanently-enable-a-software-collection/

We should update this article to use rather the following:

   source scl_source enable python33

instead of:

   source /opt/rh/python33/enable
   export X_SCLS="`scl enable python33 'echo $X_SCLS'`"

Because X_SCLS is not considered to be API, so it might be potentially
changed in the future.

This whole issue is slightly better implemented in scl-utils 2.0, which
are in Fedora right now, but because of backward incompatibility we
couldn't update scl-utils in EL 6 and 7.

Honza