Re: [scl.org] 2 questions on software collections

On 01/04/2016 09:22 PM, Langdon White wrote:

On 12/26/2015 04:07 AM, Natxo Asenjo wrote:
hi,

1st: foor rhel/centos 6 are software collections only available for 64
bit arch or are there plans for i686 too?

As far as Red Hat is concerned, we make decisions like this based on
customer feedback. If you are a customer, feel free to file a bug/RFE
through your usual channels and follow the PR announcements regarding
plans. However, we are not the only contributors, so other people may
plan to do i686 versions.

Based on my experience with rebuilding collections for x86_64, where we could use already existing builds for bootstrapping, rebuilding for i686 would be quite challenging, because everything would have to be bootstrapped from scratch. But I don't want to scare anybody, if there is enough demand, I definitely won't be against, it would just need a lot of work.

2nd: how do I switch permanently to the version of the sotfware
collection for a user? If I run

$ scl enable rh-perl520 bash
after logging off and on I get back to system perl version. Adding
that line to ~/.bash_profile seems to do the trick. Is this the
correct way to do it?

I wrote a quick blog post about this some time back. I think this is
still something we would like to see a better solution(s) for.

http://developerblog.redhat.com/2014/03/19/permanently-enable-a-software-collection/

We should update this article to use rather the following:

  source scl_source enable python33

instead of:

  source /opt/rh/python33/enable
  export X_SCLS="`scl enable python33 'echo $X_SCLS'`"

Because X_SCLS is not considered to be API, so it might be potentially changed in the future.

This whole issue is slightly better implemented in scl-utils 2.0, which are in Fedora right now, but because of backward incompatibility we couldn't update scl-utils in EL 6 and 7.

Honza

Thanks for the software collection effort, it's going to be very helpful.

Glad you like them.. please help us promote them by mentioning them on
social media, write blog posts, tell your friends, etc!

Langdon

--
Groeten,
natxo