Re: [scl.org] 2 questions on software collections

On 01/05/2016 11:00 AM, Jim Perrin wrote:

On 01/04/2016 02:22 PM, Langdon White wrote:

2nd: how do I switch permanently to the version of the sotfware
collection for a user? If I run

$ scl enable rh-perl520 bash
after logging off and on I get back to system perl version. Adding
that line to ~/.bash_profile seems to do the trick. Is this the
correct way to do it?

I wrote a quick blog post about this some time back. I think this is
still something we would like to see a better solution(s) for.

http://developerblog.redhat.com/2014/03/19/permanently-enable-a-software-collection/

It would be interesting to see if it's possible to easily expand the
scope of the alternatives framework to include scls. This way admins
could take what they already use for java and use it to manage scl
version choices as well.

Yeah.. I have thought about that a bunch too.. but haven't had a chance to look at it...

I know some people have had success with mucking about using environment modules (IIRC the name), ncoghlan comes to mind....

langdon