Re: [scl.org] devtoolset 2?

On 01/05/2016 04:35 PM, Dave Johansen wrote:
On Tue, Jan 5, 2016 at 8:30 AM, Honza Horak <hhorak redhat com
<mailto:hhorak redhat com>> wrote:

    Interesting, you're first who asks for that. Currently, there is
    nobody working on it.

We're working on moving to EL 7, but still need to support EL 6
installations. We'd also like to start allowing use of C++11 in our code
base and using the same version of gcc on both EL 6 and 7 seemed like
the best way to accomplish both of these goals.

    If you're willing to try that, I wouldn't be against, I just must
    warn you that rebuilding devtoolset is always a lot of fun (like
    https://www.redhat.com/archives/sclorg/2015-December/msg00050.html)..

What's the best way to start this?
Are there modifications that are required for source .rpm (removing
RedHat naming, etc)? Or is it just start building it and dealing with
the issues that pop up?

There is no need to remove any naming, we usually take srpm from RH and rebuild. However, the bootstrapping is usually very challenging. I'd recommend first to try to rebuild at least basic packages yourself using mock (or copr), so you see how far you can get.. Then, if you'll see it is worth the work, we can create tags/targets in CBS and start with real rebuilds.