Re: [scl.org] devtoolset 2?

On 01/06/2016 05:41 PM, Dave Johansen wrote:
On Wed, Jan 6, 2016 at 8:04 AM, Honza Horak <hhorak redhat com
<mailto:hhorak redhat com>> wrote:

    On 01/05/2016 04:35 PM, Dave Johansen wrote:

        On Tue, Jan 5, 2016 at 8:30 AM, Honza Horak <hhorak redhat com
        <mailto:hhorak redhat com>
        <mailto:hhorak redhat com <mailto:hhorak redhat com>>> wrote:

             Interesting, you're first who asks for that. Currently,
        there is
             nobody working on it.

        We're working on moving to EL 7, but still need to support EL 6
        installations. We'd also like to start allowing use of C++11 in
        our code
        base and using the same version of gcc on both EL 6 and 7 seemed
        like
        the best way to accomplish both of these goals.

             If you're willing to try that, I wouldn't be against, I
        just must
             warn you that rebuilding devtoolset is always a lot of fun
        (like
        https://www.redhat.com/archives/sclorg/2015-December/msg00050.html)..

        What's the best way to start this?
        Are there modifications that are required for source .rpm (removing
        RedHat naming, etc)? Or is it just start building it and dealing
        with
        the issues that pop up?

    There is no need to remove any naming, we usually take srpm from RH
    and rebuild. However, the bootstrapping is usually very challenging.
    I'd recommend first to try to rebuild at least basic packages
    yourself using mock (or copr), so you see how far you can get..
    Then, if you'll see it is worth the work, we can create tags/targets
    in CBS and start with real rebuilds.

I was just going to start playing around with this on COPR and I noticed
that there appears to already be an existing build of devtoolset-2:
https://copr.fedoraproject.org/coprs/rhscl/devtoolset/

It looks like it's not complete because only some of the packages
succeeded, but would that serve as the best starting point? If so,
what's the best way to move forward with that?

Well, why not, I can add you as collaborator in this project -- what is your copr username? However, I'm afraid that whoever tried that, he got blocked on some non easy issues, which is the reason why it is not finished.