[scl.org] How to submit patches for SCLs

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at redhat.com
Thu Jul 7 07:24:58 UTC 2016

On Thu, Jul 7, 2016 at 5:13 PM, Honza Horak <hhorak at redhat.com> wrote:
> On 07/04/2016 03:11 PM, Nick Coghlan wrote:
>> Is there an ETA for when the RHSCL collections will get a proper
>> upstream that accepts patches, rather than just bug reports? (I
>> thought establishing that was part of the purpose of the CentOS SIG)
>
> It is possible already now. The important thing is that such patches may get
> into a collection that is *different* than the collections shipped by Red
> Hat, but we won't block anybody to introduce such a new collection with for
> example more frequent updates.
>
> What it means in practice -- say you want python 3.5 collection that is
> following upstream releases more closely than rh-python35 and provides
> patches that are not included in rh-python35 SCL -- then this SCL will need
> to be called differently, say sclo-python35 or nick-python35 or anything
> else following the pattern owner-nameVersion. You're free to introduce such
> SCL but we cannot expect SCLo SIG will do it for all collections, since it
> requires too much resources we simply don't have currently.

Ah, so if there was (say) an "sclo-python35" SCL, then changes made
there *might* be taken into account when future versions of
rh-python35 were defined? (similar to the way not all Fedora changes
will make their way into RHEL).

Is there a short summary of the steps and obligations involved in
proposing a new sclo-* collection? There are some notes on
https://wiki.centos.org/SpecialInterestGroup/SCLo but they're not
especially clear on the steps for defining a new collection, and then
maintaining it over time.

Regards,
Nick.

--