[scl.org] How to submit patches for SCLs

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at redhat.com
Thu Jul 7 15:54:33 UTC 2016

On Thu, Jul 7, 2016 at 10:21 PM, Petr Pisar <ppisar at redhat.com> wrote:
> What it means in practise -- you will have to rebuild all your dependencies
> that worked with rh-python35 because of the owner-nameVersion pattern crept
> into RPM dependencies.
>
> Nick, maybe you knew that, just not to be surprised. SCLs, in contrast to base
> RHEL, does not allow sharing binary packages.

Aye, the main SCL use case I'm generally interested in is layered
applications, where folks switch to using Python's library management
tools above the SCL layer, so the UX challenges around using RPM to
build atop SCLs wouldn't come into play.

However, I'm not sure the minor irritations of the official SCLs are
irritating *enough* to put in the time and energy to create and
maintain a fork indefinitely, rather than being able to just submit a
patch to fix the problems.

Cheers,
Nick.

--