Re: [scl.org] devtoolset 2?

On 02/27/2016 09:57 PM, Dave Johansen wrote:
On Fri, Feb 26, 2016 at 10:38 PM, Dave Johansen <davejohansen gmail com
<mailto:davejohansen gmail com>> wrote:

    On Fri, Feb 26, 2016 at 10:12 PM, Dave Johansen
    <davejohansen gmail com <mailto:davejohansen gmail com>> wrote:

        On Wed, Jan 20, 2016 at 10:07 AM, Honza Horak <hhorak redhat com
                On Wed, Jan 6, 2016 at 1:47 PM, Honza Horak
                <hhorak redhat com <mailto:hhorak redhat com>
                <mailto:hhorak redhat com <mailto:hhorak redhat com>>>
                wrote:

                         On Wed, Jan 6, 2016 at 8:04 AM, Honza Horak
                <hhorak redhat com <mailto:hhorak redhat com>
                         <mailto:hhorak redhat com
                <mailto:hhorak redhat com>>
                         <mailto:hhorak redhat com
                <mailto:hhorak redhat com> <mailto:hhorak redhat com
                <mailto:hhorak redhat com>>>> wrote:

                         <hhorak redhat com <mailto:hhorak redhat com>
                <mailto:hhorak redhat com <mailto:hhorak redhat com>>
                                  <mailto:hhorak redhat com
                <mailto:hhorak redhat com> <mailto:hhorak redhat com
                <mailto:hhorak redhat com>>>
                                  <mailto:hhorak redhat com
                <mailto:hhorak redhat com> <mailto:hhorak redhat com
                <mailto:hhorak redhat com>>
                         <mailto:hhorak redhat com
                <mailto:hhorak redhat com> <mailto:hhorak redhat com
                <mailto:hhorak redhat com>>>>> wrote:

                                       Interesting, you're first who
                asks for that.
                         Currently,
                                  there is
                                       nobody working on it.

                                  We're working on moving to EL 7, but
                still need to
                         support EL 6
                                  installations. We'd also like to start
                allowing use of
                         C++11 in
                                  our code
                                  base and using the same version of gcc
                on both EL 6 and
                         7 seemed
                                  like
                                  the best way to accomplish both of
                these goals.

                                       If you're willing to try that, I
                wouldn't be
                         against, I
                                  just must
                                       warn you that rebuilding
                devtoolset is always a
                         lot of fun
                                  (like
                https://www.redhat.com/archives/sclorg/2015-December/msg00050.html)..

                                  What's the best way to start this?
                                  Are there modifications that are
                required for source
                         .rpm (removing
                                  RedHat naming, etc)? Or is it just
                start building it
                         and dealing
                                  with
                                  the issues that pop up?

                              There is no need to remove any naming, we
                usually take srpm
                         from RH
                              and rebuild. However, the bootstrapping is
                usually very
                         challenging.
                              I'd recommend first to try to rebuild at
                least basic packages
                              yourself using mock (or copr), so you see
                how far you can get..
                              Then, if you'll see it is worth the work,
                we can create
                         tags/targets
                              in CBS and start with real rebuilds.

                         I was just going to start playing around with
                this on COPR and I
                         noticed
                         that there appears to already be an existing
                build of devtoolset-2:
                https://copr.fedoraproject.org/coprs/rhscl/devtoolset/

                         It looks like it's not complete because only
                some of the packages
                         succeeded, but would that serve as the best
                starting point? If so,
                         what's the best way to move forward with that?

                     Well, why not, I can add you as collaborator in
                this project -- what
                     is your copr username? However, I'm afraid that
                whoever tried that,
                     he got blocked on some non easy issues, which is
                the reason why it
                     is not finished.

                My username is daveisfera.

            Well, I've realized the copr is not named devtoolset-2, but
            just devtoolset, which is not ideal.. and renaming is not
            possible in copr.. maybe it would be better if you'd create
            your own copr, which has correct name..

                Is there anything special that needs to be done to do
                these builds?

            Honestly, I don't know what is necessary to fix the builds,
            but since they were failing, I expect something would need
            to be fixed.

                Is there an original location for the source rpms? And
                is this COPR use
                those or some modification of them?

            The sources are available here:
            http://ftp.redhat.com/redhat/linux/enterprise/6Server/en/RHDevToolset/SRPMS/

        It looks like the source .rpm for felix-gogo-parent is missing.
        What needs to happen for that to be added?

    Also, it appears that some of them depend on maven plugins that
    aren't available:
    https://copr-be.cloud.fedoraproject.org/results/daveisfera/devtoolset2/epel-6-x86_64/00163449-devtoolset-2-apache-commons-codec/root.log.gz
    What can be done to resolve that?

It looks like the maven packages are supposed to come from the maven
SCL, so never mind about that. On a related note, the odd thing is that
some of the apache-common packages are in the devtoolset SCL and other
are in maven SCL. It just seems kind of odd to be broken up that way,
but whatever works I guess.

So, the only real issue seems to be the missing source .rpm for
felix-gogo-parent.

Do you think sources from devtoolset-3 could be used?
https://github.com/sclorg-distgit/felix-gogo-parent/tree/sig-sclo6-devtoolset-3-rh