[scl.org] Software collections on RHEL

Noah Kantrowitz noah at coderanger.net
Mon Mar 14 21:54:55 UTC 2016

So softwarecollections.org recently shuffled URLs, breaking all the repo package downloads (https://www.softwarecollections.org/en/scls/rhscl/python27/epel-7-x86_64/download/rhscl-python27-epel-7-x86_64.noarch.rpm -> https://www.softwarecollections.org/repos/rhscl/python27/epel-7-x86_64/noarch/rhscl-python27-epel-7-x86_64-1-2.noarch.rpm). On its own this is kind of super uncool, but deeper than that is that it seems the Correct™ way to get the repos installed is to use `yum install centos-release-scl-rh` now. As expected from the name, this doesn't work on RHEL as that package isn't available outside of CentOS's repos. Is softwarecollections.org dropping RHEL support? And if so, what's the RHEL-official way to get things like Python 3 or Ruby 2 on RHEL 6/7? I'm happy to fix the Chef cookbooks to work whatever way is deemed official, but it seems like the RHEL and CentOS SCL folks are operating on entirely different wavelengths. Should I use softwarecollections .org for CentOS and the older RedHat Software Collections for RHEL?

--Noah