[scl.org] Software collections on RHEL

Honza Horak hhorak at redhat.com
Tue Mar 15 12:32:33 UTC 2016

Hi Noah,

thank you for reporting, the issue with wrong redirection link was
caused by mistake and we're already fixing the redirection, so the old
links will work again soon.

Now, for the question about supported CentOS and RHSCL builds -- we're
now working on updating information for all the collections on
softwarecollections.org, so they all should soon say generally this:

   For getting the CentOS builds you are expected to use:
     yum install centos-release-scl-rh

   For RHEL builds you are expected to use builds from Red Hat:
     yum-config-manager --enable rhel-server-rhscl-7-rpms
   (this information is now added to
https://www.softwarecollections.org/en/scls/rhscl/python27/ and will be
soon added to other collections as well)

If you have any use case to use CentOS builds from
softwarecollections.org on RHEL, I'd like to know it, since my
understanding is that every RHEL machine should be fine with using
packages from rhel-server-rhscl-7-rpms channel.

Thanks,
Honza

On 03/14/2016 10:54 PM, Noah Kantrowitz wrote:
> So softwarecollections.org recently shuffled URLs, breaking all the repo package downloads (https://www.softwarecollections.org/en/scls/rhscl/python27/epel-7-x86_64/download/rhscl-python27-epel-7-x86_64.noarch.rpm -> https://www.softwarecollections.org/repos/rhscl/python27/epel-7-x86_64/noarch/rhscl-python27-epel-7-x86_64-1-2.noarch.rpm). On its own this is kind of super uncool, but deeper than that is that it seems the Correct™ way to get the repos installed is to use `yum install centos-release-scl-rh` now. As expected from the name, this doesn't work on RHEL as that package isn't available outside of CentOS's repos. Is softwarecollections.org dropping RHEL support? And if so, what's the RHEL-official way to get things like Python 3 or Ruby 2 on RHEL 6/7? I'm happy to fix the Chef cookbooks to work whatever way is deemed official, but it seems like the RHEL and CentOS SCL folks are operating on entirely different wavelengths. Should I use softwarecollections .org for Cen!
 tOS and th
e older RedHat Software Collections for RHEL?