[scl.org] Rolling release naming

Petr Pisar ppisar at redhat.com
Tue Nov 8 15:00:44 UTC 2016

On Tue, Nov 08, 2016 at 09:40:25AM -0500, Zuzana Svetlikova wrote:
> Currently, we chose the name of the collection by the version
> of the software we're packaging (rh-python35, sclo-php56 etc).
>
> I'd like to have a collection, that would be "rolling release"
> and for that reason I cannot use the version naming (nodejs
> releases major version every ~6 months).
> I could use something like sclo-nodejs-current, but that would
> result in terribly long package names that I'd like to avoid.
>
> Does anyone have any good ideas how to name such collection?

Gentoo uses "9999" (or any long enough sequence of 9's) version for packages
following latest upstream commit. I.e. sclo-nodejs-9999.

But you are going to package proper releases with proper versions. Is your
problem only that it's inconvinent for your to update the version string and
reuild all packages? Will be the old package work with the new interpreter
without rebuilding them?

Maybe using no version string would the best one. Simply sclo-nodejs. Or if
you insist on a version string what about sclo-nodejs-latest? (But that
commits you into following upstream very closely. Nobody wants latest version
that isn't latest.)

-- Petr