[scl.org] Installing SCL packages on RHEL

Noah Kantrowitz noah at coderanger.net
Fri Sep 16 18:27:35 UTC 2016

> On Sep 16, 2016, at 7:26 AM, Honza Horak <hhorak at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> I'm afraid I won't have a clear answer right now, but will try to help at least where I can.
>
> On 09/16/2016 04:11 AM, Noah Kantrowitz wrote:
>> Okay, to get the disclaimer out of the way, I understand that SCLo/CentOS packages are not supported by RedHat. I'm trying to get my Chef SCL code to work on RHEL again (CentOS works great via centos-release-scl). The official (from what I can tell) solution is `subscription-manager repos --enable rhel-server-rhscl-{6,7}-rpms`. The problem is this fails on most cloud-y RHEL installs as the EC2/Rackspace/whatever images don't come with a subscription setup and thus even though they (I think, the cloud licenses are weird and bespoke) could use the SCL subscription, the system won't allow it.
>
> So, are you're hitting the issue described in https://access.redhat.com/solutions/1120983?

Except replace "EC2" with any other provider (Rackspace, Google Cloud, Azure, etc).

>> EC2 has a (custom?) solution for this with a local RHUI server in each region that can be used to set up the SCL repository. This server is not reachable from outside EC2 though, so doesn't help on other cloud platforms.
>
> It seems like the solution above does work for EC2 but not for other providers, right? In any case, I'd recommend to contact RH support, they already might have seen issues like this and might have a solution.

Yes, but solving it for EC2 required Amazon to deploy quite a bit of infrastructure and modify their base images so I don't think this is likely to be a short-term help unless every cloud vendor does the same.

>> The next thing I thought to try is to use the SCLo/CentOS repositories directly for cloud users as they probably don't care too much about support or they would have set up a subscription. I can't figure out a stable way to do that though. From https://github.com/sclorg/centos-release-scl, I can do `yum-config-manager --add-repo=https://copr.fedoraproject.org/coprs/rhscl/centos-release-scl/repo/epel-7/rhscl-centos-release-scl-epel-7.repo` but this only activates the sclo/ repo, not rh/ so I can't install the recompiles of the RHSCL packages (i.e. most of them).
>
> The problem I have with this particular solution is that SCLo packages from CentOS were never meant to be run on RHEL, nobody tests them on RHEL and simply said for RHEL the solution is RHSCL channel. Although I understand you might be frustrated by not being able to do it simply the correct way..

This is no longer about correct or incorrect, I just want anything that works.

>> I could set the http://mirror.centos.org/centos/6/sclo/x86_64/rh/ repository manually, but I would need a copy of the GPG to import. I've filed https://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=11468 to request the GPG key be made available via centos.org but I would imagine any changes there will take some time.
>>
>> So with that wall of text, what's the best way to get SCL packages on RedHat for _all_ RHEL users?
>
> That's exactly which way we should focus on, but I'm not able to help right now, since I don't have enough information about it. I'll try to fill gaps in my knowledge, but as mentioned above, I'd recommend to contact the RH support with this problem.

How do I contact RH support for something like this?

--Noah