[scl.org] Python 3.6 availability

Honza Horak hhorak at redhat.com
Thu Apr 13 08:05:00 UTC 2017

On 04/11/2017 10:24 AM, Nick Coghlan wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 31, 2017 at 6:30 PM, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at redhat.com> wrote:
>> On Sun, Mar 26, 2017 at 12:50 AM, meson <meson at posteo.de> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> is there any estimate on when Python 3.6 will be available as SCL?
>>>
>>> Our devs are asking about it. If it's going to take a long time, I'll try my
>>> hand at building the packages myself.
>>
>> It likely makes sense to have some community maintained sclo-* Python
>> packages
>
> I've been mulling this idea over for the past couple of weeks, and I'm
> wondering if it might make sense to create a rolling "sclo-python3"
> SCL, that's initially forked from
> https://www.softwarecollections.org/en/scls/rhscl/rh-python35/, but
> explicitly promises to rebase to new Python feature releases when they
> come out.
>
> So if people were happy to always run on the leading edge (even for
> X.Y.0 releases), they could use "sclo-python3", but if they wanted to
> stay on a particular X.Y release for a while, they would need to
> switch to the downstream rh-pythonXY SCLs.
>
> Remi, if I wanted to do that, where would I start?
> https://github.com/sclorg-distgit is useful as a reference for
> submitting changes to existing community SCLs, but it doesn't provide
> any guidance on how to start a new one (and that info is also missing
> from the wiki).

Hi Nick,

I've finally put some short guidance to:

https://wiki.centos.org/SpecialInterestGroup/SCLo#head-b408f06ad89fd3a67686f755eafac7ce310ee081

I think that by this mail you basically did the step "Propose adding a
new SCL on the mailing list", so now we should agree on the naming and
SCL purpose.

 From my PoV, the last proposal of having "sclo-python3" with "always
latest major Python 3" looks good to me, I'll also ask python maint team
for their opinion, but if nobody is against here, we can go with this
approach.

The next step will be you (or the person who is going to build the
packages) becoming a SIG member
(https://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/CommunityBuildSystem) and then we need
to request build tags in the cbs.centos.org
(https://wiki.centos.org/SpecialInterestGroup/SCLo#head-4ce81a8b651b8a1217a0c97f757e0eab869bea48).

Whether you'll find https://github.com/sclorg-distgit useful for
development, or it will be used only for adding sources after build,
it's up to you..

Let me know if you have any further questions..

Honza