[scl.org] Python3 (always latest) community SCL

Tomas Orsava torsava at redhat.com
Thu Apr 13 14:27:19 UTC 2017

Hi!

On 04/11/2017 10:24 AM, Nick Coghlan wrote:
> I've been mulling this idea over for the past couple of weeks, and I'm
> wondering if it might make sense to create a rolling "sclo-python3"
> SCL, that's initially forked from
> https://www.softwarecollections.org/en/scls/rhscl/rh-python35/, but
> explicitly promises to rebase to new Python feature releases when they
> come out.
>
> So if people were happy to always run on the leading edge (even for
> X.Y.0 releases), they could use "sclo-python3", but if they wanted to
> stay on a particular X.Y release for a while, they would need to
> switch to the downstream rh-pythonXY SCLs.
>
> Remi, if I wanted to do that, where would I start?
> https://github.com/sclorg-distgit is useful as a reference for
> submitting changes to existing community SCLs, but it doesn't provide
> any guidance on how to start a new one (and that info is also missing
> from the wiki).
It would be great to have a state-of-the-art Python in Enterprise Linux,
but I think it would be better using the existing (though lacking
maintenance) Python 3 in EPEL [0] mechanism.

While installing and using SCLs isn't hard, I think an RPM packaged
version is still easier for both maintenance and usage and people can
have EPEL packages built against it as well. In addition the transition
mechanism is smoother, as two Python versions are coexisting during the
transition period, whereas the rolling SCL would just switch and
everyone would have to immediately adjust.

What would be the advantage of creating a rolling 'scl-python3'
collection over the EPEL mechanism [1]?

[0] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Bkabrda/EPEL7_Python3
[1] https://admin.fedoraproject.org/pkgdb/package/rpms/python34/

All the best,