[scl.org] (Lack of) progress on a rolling release Python SCL

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sat Dec 16 10:17:18 UTC 2017

Hi folks,

A while back I started working on a rolling release Python SCL to track the
latest stable release of CPython: https://github.com/ncoghlan/pyscl-devel

While I got a fully automated build running locally in mock, the release
field modification trick I used to handle bootstrapping new feature
releases doesn't work in COPR or koji, so the bootstrapping needs to be
redesigned to mutate the bootstrap package names and add appropriate
Obsoletes definitions to the real packages in order to work with those
backends (I'd prefer the bootstrapping to be idempotent if you rerun it
with unchanged sources, so I don't like any approaches based on actually
bumping the release number).

However, for a variety of reasons, I'm unlikely to complete that work
myself anytime soon, so this post is mainly a notice for anyone else
interested in the topic that I'm no longer working on it, but my work so
far can be found at the repo link above.

Cheers,
Nick.