[scl.org] CentOS build system sclo-sig application sent

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at redhat.com
Mon Jul 3 06:34:11 UTC 2017

Hi folks,

As mentioned in another thread, I'm finally getting started on
bootstrapping a "rolling Python" SCL that follows the latest upstream
releases (so it will follow 3.6 until the 3.7.0 release, then switch
to following 3.7, etc, etc).

Part of that involves officially signing up for SCLo SIG membership in
the build system, so this is a note to say that:

1. I've applied for sclo-sig membership via accounts.centos.org
2. My account name is "ncoghlan" (but using my personal address rather
than my RH one)
3. The purpose of the application is to set up a "sclo-python"
community SCL that tracks the latest upstream stable release as
described above

At some point we may want to add a "sclo-python-preview" stream that
includes the release candidates issued prior to upstream maintenance
releases, and switches to the next maintenance branch once the first
beta comes out, but if I/we do do anything like that, it would most
likely be driven by the start of the 3.7 beta cycle rather than being
something that gets done immediately.

I'm starting the repo for this at
https://github.com/ncoghlan/sclo-python/ (to be transferred to
https://github.com/sclorg-distgit at a later date), and will chat to
Tomas Orsava about how best to go about seeding that.

Cheers,
Nick.

P.S. I'm starting to think it may actually make sense to start out
with the 3.5 Red Hat SCL as a template, and then do a 3.5 -> 3.6
transition within the sclo-python stream to make it absolutely clear
that when we say "rolling release, including major version upgrades"
we really do mean "rolling release, including major version upgrades".

Otherwise, regardless of what we say in the docs, I can see folks
getting upset when the 3.6 -> 3.7 switch comes around and they
happened to be relying on a previously deprecated feature that had
finally been removed.

--
Nick Coghlan
Red Hat Platform Engineering, Brisbane