[scl.org] Python "latest" SCLo

Honza Horak hhorak at redhat.com
Tue Jul 11 13:39:03 UTC 2017

On 07/11/2017 10:44 AM, Nick Coghlan wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 3, 2017 at 3:47 PM, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at redhat.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, Jun 30, 2017 at 1:24 AM, Davis, Daniel (NIH/NLM) [C]
>> <daniel.davis at nih.gov> wrote:
>>> I’ve been lurking on this list for a while, and I wanted to bring myself up
>>> to date.   I noticed some talk of a community SCL for a “latest” Python,
>>> which would be a non-patched pure build of Python that is kept up-to-date by
>>> the community.   Where is that at?   Who is leading it?
>>
>> That would be me, but it stalled while I was working on some Python
>> 3.7 changes. Happily though, I have some time to spend on
>> bootstrapping the "rolling Python" SCL this week, so I'm going to
>> start working through the list of tasks at
>> https://wiki.centos.org/SpecialInterestGroup/SCLo#head-b408f06ad89fd3a67686f755eafac7ce310ee081
>> (using the rh-python35 collection as a starting point)
>
> So I finally started working on the technical aspects of this, and as
> near as I can figure out, what I'll need to do is:
>
> 1. Create a new sclo-python metapackage, using
> https://github.com/sclorg-distgit/rh-python35/tree/master as a
> starting point
> 2. For now, just create a `sig-sclo7-sclo-python` branch (we can look
> at an sclo6 branch once 7 is working)
> 3. Edit https://github.com/ncoghlan/sclo-python/tree/sig-sclo7-sclo-python
> for the rh-python35 -> sclo-python name change
> 4. Start doing some test builds in COPR as per
> https://www.softwarecollections.org/en/docs/

This guide is actually not complete, as I've just realized -- copr is
only one way to build SCLs for www.softwarecollections.org, but we can
include SCLs from CBS (cbs.centos.org, build by SCLo SIG) as well. We
should fix this part of documentation, thanks for pointing to it..

> In parallel with that:
>
> 4. Submit a buildsys request for an sclo-python tag that's similar to
> the existing rh-python35 one (akin to
> https://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=9661 )

I can help with requesting CBS stuff, I think we can request both and
build el7 first.. existance of the tag el6 does not mean we need to ever
release it.. if we don't want to from some reason..

The only thing we need to make clear is the naming -- sclo-python3 or
sclo-python? From my PoV sclo-python3 better describes what is inside..
but maybe there are other opinions..

Honza