[scl.org] Python3 (always latest) community SCL

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at redhat.com
Mon Jun 19 07:47:52 UTC 2017

On Wed, May 10, 2017 at 3:37 PM, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at redhat.com> wrote:

> To provide an indicative timeline for this: I'm currently trying to
> get PEP 538's locale coercion squared away for Python 3.7 before
> Fedora 26 hits code freeze, and then will be busy with proposal
> reviews for the PyCon Australia Education Seminar for the next couple
> of weeks.
>
> So that will mean I'll start figuring out the details of setting up
> this rolling community SCL some time in late May or early June.

A (lack of) progress update here: while PEP 538 has landed, I had to
partially revert it to get the FreeBSD buildbots passing again, and that
partial reversion also had the side effect of disabling it on Mac OS X. I'd
like to get all that sorted out before starting any other new upstream
commitments, and PyCon Australia itself is now looming not too far in the
future :)

So if anyone else is keen to see the Python 3 SCL rolling release idea
happen, *please* don't feel obliged to wait for me to find the time to
drive it - I'll be happy to help out regardless.

However, if we do leave it to me, then I'll hopefully be able to get PEP
538 finalised some time in the next couple of weeks, while would mean
putting together an initial collection some time in July. If I miss that
date, then it's likely to slip all the way into September or October due to
my other commitments in August.

Cheers,
Nick.

--