[scl.org] Feedback on /usr/bin symlinks for python

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at redhat.com
Thu Mar 23 07:04:49 UTC 2017

On Thu, Mar 23, 2017 at 12:50 AM, Davis, Daniel (NIH/NLM) [C]
<daniel.davis at nih.gov> wrote:
> For the python SCLs, I would potentially love this, but one would need to be
> careful to version the wrappers/symlinks, and/or worry about rpaths and ld
> config.

Aye, Python's going to have to be a special case as it isn't possible
to uninstall the base "python" package in current versions of RHEL &
CentOS.

However, it should be possible to get system-wide Python SCLs to work
similarly to the pythonXY packages in Fedora and EPEL, where they only
provide the "/usr/bin/pythonX.Y" links, and not the more generic
"python" or "pythonX" links.

Cheers,
Nick.

--