[scl.org] Feedback on /usr/bin symlinks for python

For the python SCLs, I would potentially love this, but one would need to be careful to version the wrappers/symlinks, and/or worry about rpaths and ld config.

To be more specific - one problem I’ve had is running a testing tool called “tox” – the idea is that “tox” runs your python code with multiple versions of Python, and/or possibly multiple versions of Python packages (i.e. Django 1.7, 1.8, etc.).    Many tox configurations are setup to look for a python executable called python3.4 and/or python2.7 and/or python3.   So the wrapper rpms might want to provide these as scripts that enable the SCL within them and then invoke the language.

As an example (and a test case), here’s one upstream package I’ve contributed to - https://github.com/mingchen/django-cas-ng.

Here is its tox configuration file - https://github.com/mingchen/django-cas-ng/blob/master/tox.ini

An excerpt shows how it is expecting to find the python version in the test matrix:

[testenv:py27-django19]

basepython=python2.7

deps =

    Django>=1.9,<1.10

    {[base]deps}

[testenv:py34-django15]

basepython=python3.4

deps =

    Django>=1.5,<1.6

    {[base]deps}

[testenv:py34-django16]

basepython=python3.4

deps =

    Django>=1.6,<1.7

    {[base]deps}

Dan Davis, Systems/Applications Architect (Contractor),

Office of Computer and Communications Systems,

National Library of Medicine, NIH