[scl.org] Python 3.6 availability

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at redhat.com
Fri Mar 31 08:30:44 UTC 2017

On Sun, Mar 26, 2017 at 12:50 AM, meson <meson at posteo.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> is there any estimate on when Python 3.6 will be available as SCL?
>
> Our devs are asking about it. If it's going to take a long time, I'll try my
> hand at building the packages myself.

It likely makes sense to have some community maintained sclo-* Python
packages regardless, as the rh-* ones are officially Red Hat
maintained, and hence:

- are published in line with Red Hat's product schedules rather than
necessarily being ASAP after the upstream release
- have RHEL-style rules against rebasing components within the
collection (so some updates have to wait for the next revision of the
entire collection)
- are restricted to components that Red Hat is currently willing to
commercially support with security backports

By contrast, community packages could adopt more permissive policies
around package inclusion and rebasing, without having to take Red
Hat's commercial support obligations into account the way the official
SCLs do.

> A general question: is the SCL development open? I did not find any public
> git repositories apart from the CentOS source server. I'd love to
> contribute.

Remi, do you have access to edit the CentOS wiki? It would be good to
provide a pointer to https://github.com/sclorg-distgit from
https://wiki.centos.org/SpecialInterestGroup/SCLo and you have a much
better understanding than I do of how the existing sclo-* SCLs are
maintained.

Cheers,
Nick.

P.S. Perhaps it would be worth adding an "sclo-admin" repo to the
sclo-distgit org, and pinning it? Then the README for that could be
used as a second entry point for info about the SCLo sig, and it could
also provide an issue tracker for the SIG itself, rather than relying
solely on the mailing list and the RHSCL component in Red Hat's
bugzilla instance (which only covers the official SCLs anyway).

--
Nick Coghlan
Red Hat Platform Engineering, Brisbane