[scl.org] Python3 (always latest) community SCL

Tomas Orsava torsava at redhat.com
Wed May 3 11:44:06 UTC 2017

On 05/03/2017 09:13 AM, Nick Coghlan wrote:
> [...]
>>> come out.
>>>
>>> So if people were happy to always run on the leading edge (even for
>>> X.Y.0 releases), they could use "sclo-python3", but if they wanted to
>>> stay on a particular X.Y release for a while, they would need to
>>> switch to the downstream rh-pythonXY SCLs.
>>>
>>> Remi, if I wanted to do that, where would I start?
>>> https://github.com/sclorg-distgit is useful as a reference for
>>> submitting changes to existing community SCLs, but it doesn't provide
>>> any guidance on how to start a new one (and that info is also missing
>>> from the wiki).
>> It would be great to have a state-of-the-art Python in Enterprise Linux, but
>> I think it would be better using the existing (though lacking maintenance)
>> Python 3 in EPEL [0] mechanism.
>>
>> While installing and using SCLs isn't hard, I think an RPM packaged version
>> is still easier for both maintenance and usage and people can have EPEL
>> packages built against it as well. In addition the transition mechanism is
>> smoother, as two Python versions are coexisting during the  transition
>> period, whereas the rolling SCL would just switch and everyone would have to
>> immediately adjust.
>>
>> What would be the advantage of creating a rolling 'scl-python3' collection
>> over the EPEL mechanism [1]?
> The main practical issue I see with the EPEL parallel installation
> design is the part about updating "/usr/bin/python3" to new "stable"
> versions:
>
> ==============
> In a situation when python3X is in EPEL and 3.X+1 is released
> upstream, the following happens:
>
> * python3X+1 package is created for EPEL ASAP and all extension
> packages are built also for this new python3X+1 stack.
> * When all packages are rebuilt for python3X+1, the old python3X stack
> is retired after certain period. This period gives everyone enough
> time to rebuild their packages while being as short as possible. There
> is intentionally no hard limit here, we will approach this case by
> case.
> * "/usr/bin/python3" belongs to the "stable" python3X stack. Switching
> /usr/bin/python3 from python3X to python3X+1 happens shortly before
> the end of transitional period (== before obsoleting python3X) and it
> is announced on epel-devel.
> Usage of "/usr/bin/python3" is discouraged in favour of using
> /usr/bin/python3.X explicitly.
> ==============
>
> While I thought this sounded reasonable at the time, it turns out to
> have a lot of problems in practice, as it makes it hard for developers
> to say "I just want to run on a pre-built version of the latest
> upstream Python". Instead, they have to choose between:
>
> * referring to python3.x in their own code, and having to update all
> those references to switch to a new version
> * keeping their "python3" references, and trusting that the originally
> planned EPEL transitions will happen in a timely fashion

I agree that it's not exactly seamless, you can make a single boolean
macro in your spec file using which it will be switched to the
alternative Python, so it shouldn't be a significant maintenance burden.

> And then regardless of the approach they choose, they have to rely on
> either virtualenv or fiddling with the system level symlink to run
> against an alternative Python 3 stack.

If I may ask, what do you mean by fiddling with the system level
symlink? I believe they can invoke `/usr/bin/python3.X` using the
%{__python3_other} macro.

> Accordingly, the main benefit I see to the rolling community SCL is
> that it makes "python3" load the SCL version when the SCL is enabled,
> which *does* make it easy for developers to choose between running
> against either the latest Python 3.x (by building on top of either
> Fedora or the proposed community SCL), or against a specific Python
> 3.x version (by using the Red Hat SCLs). If the native EPEL builds are
> retained, then they would be a *downstream* of the Red Hat SCLs, so
> the complete maintenance flow would be:
>
> - upstream release happens
> - Fedora system Python and rolling Python 3 community SCL are updated
> - Python 3.x Red Hat SCLs are updated
> - EPEL Python 3.x stacks are updated
>
> That approach is then a lot closer to the traditional RPM update flow
> from upstream->Fedora->RHEL->CentOS, just modified to be
> upstream->SCLo->RHSCL->EPEL since there isn't a system Python 3 stack
> in RHEL & CentOS.

I do see the benefits of the added rolling SCL, though in my mind the
benefits are lessened by the pre-existence of Python 3 in EPEL, and thus
I'm not sure it's worth the added maintenance. However, that's only my
personal reasoning.

If we can find volunteers for the effort I'll be glad to lend a hand
with the creation of the SCL.

Best regards,
Tomas