[scl.org] SCL and Ansible ?

viscapi at cines.fr viscapi at cines.fr
Fri Oct 11 09:22:46 UTC 2019

Dear all,

Silly question: is there a way to call "scl enable" from within an Ansible role ?

So far we've been trying the command, shell and scripts modules, but to no avail...

https://docs.ansible.com/ansible/latest/modules/command_module.html#command-module
https://docs.ansible.com/ansible/latest/modules/shell_module.html#shell-module
https://docs.ansible.com/ansible/latest/modules/script_module.html#script-module

Here are some failed attempts:

- name: Start using the software collection for maven
  shell: scl_enabled rh-maven35
  register: swap_exists
  ignore_errors: true
#script: test.sh
 # shell: scl enable /etc/scl/conf//opt/rh/rh-maven35 bash && echo toto
 #shell: /usr/bin/scl enable rh-maven35 bash
 # args:
 #   warn: yes
 #   chdir: "{{ path_to_pastis }}"
  #easy_install:
  #  name: scl
#  args:
#    executable: "/usr/bin/scl enable rh-maven35 bash"
 # command: |
 #   /usr/bin/scl enable rh-maven35 bash
#bash
 # shell: |
 #   scl enable rh-maven35 bash
#bash
#  args:
#    executable: /bin/bash

I think the root issue is that, as far as I understand, "scl enable" starts a new shell and sources environment variables in there, while Ansible is still waiting for some RC in the parent shell. Thus Ansible is not really failing, but just keeps on waiting for ever...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

Samuel from CINES

https://www.cines.fr/en/