[scl.org] Python >= 3.9.5

Nick Howitt nhowitt at clearcenter.com
Mon Jul 5 11:25:26 UTC 2021

Hi,
I have been asked to look into running a package requiring Python >= 3.9.5
in my distro, ClearOS7 which is a derivative of Centos7 and binary
compatible with it. All that is needed is Python with pip support so that
they can set up a virtual environment and run their package within it. It
works fine with a command line installation of 3.9.5 but that is not
distributable.

To me, the best route is to go down the scl route but it seems to be that
there are some issues packaging python into an rpm because it needs to
somehow bootstrap itself.

Is there any intention to create an rh-python39 package?

If there is no intention to create one, are there any build instructions or
is there anyone who can help guide me?

I have started by cloning rh-python38 and changing all the references from
38 to 39, but this is relatively easy and creates 4 packages, rh-python,
rh-python-build, rh-python-runtime and rh-python-scldevel. What comes next?
TIA,
Nick