[scl.org] Python >= 3.9.5

Nick Howitt nhowitt at clearcenter.com
Wed Jul 7 11:07:50 UTC 2021

On 07/07/2021 11:02, Jan Staněk wrote:
> Hi Nick,
> please refer to the packaging guide [1], especially Chapter 2.
> That should get you up and running; feel free to ask if you run into a
> wall.
>
> [1]: https://www.softwarecollections.org/en/docs/guide/
>
> Otherwise, if you intent to publish/share the collection with others,
> please do not use the `rh-` prefix – that is reserved for official Red
> Hat collections.
>
> Best regards!
> --
> Jan Staněk
> Software Engineer, Red Hat
> jstanek at redhat.com   irc: jstanek

Hello Jan,
Thanks for the reply. Apologies for double-posting but the list did not
mail back to me my first post I assumed it had failed as I'd
accidentally sent it in html, so I resent it in plain text.

Do you happen to know if there is a particular build order for the
packages, e.g rh-python38 followed by installing it and then building
rh-python38-python and so on or can they be built independently. The
intention is to just get a base python39 running with pip39 so a
virtualenv can be created. After that, all required packages will be
installed with pip to avoid messing with the base o/s installation.

Thanks for the tip about rh. I'd already guessed that one. Locally I'll
start with rh but, if I succeed, I'll switch it to something else and
rebuild before rolling it out.

Regards,
Nick