[scl.org] Is Software Collections abandoned?

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Tue May 11 12:12:13 UTC 2021

On Tue, 11 May 2021 at 07:14, Jan Staněk <jstanek at redhat.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
> currently, I'm not aware of any collections planned for CentOS 8;
> modularity/AppStream is the prefferred way forward.
>
> Since RedHat does not support collections on RHEL 8, it would take a
> community
> effort to update and maintain the scaffolding in CentOS 8. Given that
> these days I think I'm the only semi-active member of the SCLo SIG,
> I would not hold my breath.
>
> Of course, If you are willing to try and put in the work,
> try joining the SIG [1] and start figuring out what exactly is needed.

So Red Hat does and does not seem to support collections on RHEL-8. The
CentOS Stream of 8 ships with two software collections gcc-toolset-9 and
gcc-toolset-10 which are newer gcc collections than the base one. However
it doesn't seem they have other tools needed to make software collections
in 8 so work would be needed to update and maintain the scaffolding.

> [1]: https://wiki.centos.org/SpecialInterestGroup/SCLo
> --
> Jan Staněk
> Software Engineer, Red Hat
> jstanek at redhat.com   irc: jstanek

Stephen J Smoogen.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Flame wars in
sci.astro.orion. I have seen SPAM filters overload because of Godwin's Law.
All those moments will be lost in time... like posts on  BBS... time to
reboot.