Re: [scl.org] Is Software Collections abandoned?

On Tue, 11 May 2021 at 07:14, Jan Staněk <jstanek redhat com> wrote:
Hi all,
currently, I'm not aware of any collections planned for CentOS 8;
modularity/AppStream is the prefferred way forward.

Since RedHat does not support collections on RHEL 8, it would take a community
effort to update and maintain the scaffolding in CentOS 8. Given that
these days I think I'm the only semi-active member of the SCLo SIG,
I would not hold my breath.

Of course, If you are willing to try and put in the work,
try joining the SIG [1] and start figuring out what exactly is needed.

So Red Hat does and does not seem to support collections on RHEL-8. The CentOS Stream of 8 ships with two software collections gcc-toolset-9 and gcc-toolset-10 which are newer gcc collections than the base one. However it doesn't seem they have other tools needed to make software collections in 8 so work would be needed to update and maintain the scaffolding.

[1]: https://wiki.centos.org/SpecialInterestGroup/SCLo
--
Jan Staněk
Software Engineer, Red Hat