[scl.org] Is Software Collections abandoned?

Remi Collet rcollet at redhat.com
Tue May 11 13:59:29 UTC 2021

Le 11/05/2021 à 14:12, Stephen John Smoogen a écrit :

> So Red Hat does and does not seem to support collections on RHEL-8. The
> CentOS Stream of 8 ships with two software collections gcc-toolset-9 and
> gcc-toolset-10 which are newer gcc collections than the base one.

"scl-utils" is still available in RHEL-8 (and CentOS-8)

So, it is possible to build Software collections

For ex, I'm used to build PHP 5.6 to 8.0 as SCL for RHEL-8 [1]

But, indeed, GCC 9 and 10 are the only ones maintained by RH
and modularity is the new way (for now) to provides new
versions of applications / languages.

Notice: but scl-utils in Fedora is broken and doesn't work anymore

Remi

[1] as I think SCL, allowing multiple versions to be installed
simultaneously, is a great feature, very valuable for dev

--
rcollet at redhat.com | Senior Software Engineer / BaseOS / WebStack team
GPG Key: 0x29F16A18