[scl.org] Is Software Collections abandoned?

Amrhein, Karl ksa at slac.stanford.edu
Tue May 11 14:25:37 UTC 2021

> But, indeed, GCC 9 and 10 are the only ones maintained by RH
> and modularity is the new way (for now) to provides new
> versions of applications / languages.

Providing newer versions of apps is only one feature of SCL.

The killer feature of SCL is to have multiple versions of apps installed *simultaneously*.  For a multi user Linux host, this is a requirement, and modularity is not a replacement for SCL.

When you have thousands of users, it’s not a choice of GCC 9 or 10, the requirement is GCC 9 *and* 10.

> [1] as I think SCL, allowing multiple versions to be installed
> simultaneously, is a great feature, very valuable for dev

For many customers, including us, allowing multiple versions to be installed simultaneously is a requirement for production.

Modularity is great for what it does, but it is *not* a replacement for SCL, unless it can allow for multiple versions of a package to be installed simultaneously.

We need modularity AND SCL.