Re: 100% repeatable: starting X kills pppd

On Wed, Jul 04, 2001 at 10:13:20AM -0400, Ben Logan wrote:
> Thanks for the suggestion, but I like rl 3 because I don't have much
> memory or a fast computer, and I sometimes don't even start X.  I do
> use X the majority of the time, however, I like having the option of
> not running it.  Any other ideas? :)
>
> Regards,
> Ben Logan
>
> On Wed, Jul 04, 2001 at 08:07:51AM -0500, A. Konstam wrote:
> > On Wed, Jul 04, 2001 at 06:30:24AM -0400, Ben Logan wrote:
> > > Greetings,
> > >
> > > I'm running stock RH 7.1, and am having a problem with X killing pppd.
> > > If I connect to my ISP and then a user starts X, pppd dies with a
> > > SIGHUP.  I've run strace on both pppd and X, but didn't gain any
> > > understanding from either trace.  I didn't have the problem in 7.0.
> > > Anyone have any ideas?
> > >
> > I don't know why X kills pppd but I know how to avoid your
> > problem. Run your machine in X at run level 5. Login using gdm
> > and then connect to your ISP. I don't underatnad why anyone would
> > run there machines at run level 3.

First to those responders indicating some people don't install X;
they should note that you did.
Second, I run X on a 233 MHz 64 Meg machine. Is your machine
slower and with less memory than that?
If you run X most of the time than run in run level 5. If you
wnat to go to run level 3 you can do that but I can'r see why you
would want to. Tell me why run level 3 attracts you.
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University
715 Stadium Dr.