hdparm and 7.1

Hello,

I am about to install 7.1 on a laptop. After following some discussions
on the guinnes list, I read more about optimizing the hard drive using
hdparm, and I was ready to use it when someone told me that, upon
installation, 7.1 does the optimization automatically.

Is that so? How good is this optimization in general? Is there a place
(a script in rc.d?) where I could see what was done?

Thanks a lot for your help,

Marcelo