Re: ASUS A7V133: which Bios?

Michael Schwendt a écrit :

> On 2001-07-08, Jean Francois Ortolo wrote:
>
> >  Last Bios is the avu1005a ( June 6 2001 ).
> >  Before the last was the avu1004 ( March 2001 ).
> >  Anyone in this list could say me whatever Bios is the better, for this
> >motherboard/RH7.1 ?
>
> Doesn't it come with a changes summary?
> Rule of thumb is, if you don't have any problems, don't update.

I have a big problem
  With a HD IBM 60GXP IDE ATA100 UDMA 40GB as /dev/hda, I get repetitive
crashes after install, I suspect the way the onboard IDE controller and
the kernel, hear from each other, for the crashes are regular,
apparently occur whenever the synchronization process between the HD and
the virtual memory, is about to run. Meanwhile, there is the word 'swap'
in the kernel panic messages. The 33,8GB limit doesn't get involved, for
the whole partitions are under 32GB.
  Moreover, from time to time, the Bios blocks if I enter into the
setup, after a few minutes. Have to reboot indeed.
  I did read the seawolf archive, I got some posts saying the VIA KT133A
chip, was not completely taken into account, both by the kernel, and the
onboard IDE controller. My IDE controller is not Raid, for this version
doesn't support Raid ( A7V133-C ).
  So what can I do? I don't know whether the actual kernel supports the
AVU1005A.AWD next official Bios from Asus. So I did set this question
above, so I could hear from some other folks which did the upgrade
already. And I fear about damages I could cause to my motherboard, if I
try to upgrade.
  I believe I'd hear some comments about both these recent Bioses - That
the 1005A was less functional that the 1004, with regard to Win2K.
  Anyway, I also know the Via 4-in-31 patch, is necessary to get Win2k
up and running, and someone said on this list, the potential effect of
the registers modification by the patch on the RH behaving, was not
determined.
  All that makes me prudent indeed, but I would get seawolf running
properly on my new machine, although it'll perhaps need both a Bios
upgrade, and a kernel update. Not to say the next RH release...
  Thank you vey much for your help.
  Jean Francois Ortolo