Re: 100% repeatable: starting X kills pppd

On Thu, 5 Jul 2001, Jeff Lane wrote:

> As for the rest of that...
>
> First, why not?  Second, lets look at it this way:
>
> Traditional *nix users:  Linux and Unix are console based server operating
> systems.  the pretty GUI stuff was added to make it more friendly to
> Windows users.  (I know there were other reasons, but that is a big one).
>
> I see your point here... but it is simpley a matter of choice.  I have 4
> machines sitting here...  2 desktops, 1 laptop, and one 1U server.  none
> of them run in 5.  All run in 3, and I run X on two of them.  But
> everything else I do I do in a console.  Yes, I know you can do it in an
> xterm in X, so?
>
> I prefer to do it in a console, not in an xterm.  Plus, its a lot easier
> for me to keep track of what is going on.  For example...  on one of my
> boxen:
>
> tty 1 is for comand stuff
> tty 2 is same
> tty3 is same
> tty 4 is for tail -f of /var/log/messages
> tty 5 is for stderr
> tty6 is for tail of any other file that I need to keep watch on.

tty1 for pine and only pine
tty2 for command stuff etc
tty3 same
tty4 mpg123
tty5 root
tty6 root
tty7 X for mozilla/gnapster/gkrellm
tty8 see below

[root vanessa]:[/etc]# less syslog.conf
# Log all kernel messages to the console.
# Logging much else clutters up the screen.
kern.*                                                  /dev/tty8

You can log most anything you want to vc8/9/10...  by adding a line to
/etc/syslog.conf and free up one of your vc's for mpg123 !  hehe

> But again, this is just for me.  And it all boils down to this:
>
> Linux == freedom == choice.
> and that is my choice.  Some people want to run in 5.  Some want to run in
> 3.

Amen.

--
Ryan Camick