Re: threads and file descriptors

On Mon, 9 Jul 2001, Travis Haas wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We are running an application that requires quite a few threads and file
> descriptors.  How do I increase these in Red Hat 7.1 using the 2.4.2-2
> kernel?  I've found plenty of information for the 2.2.x kernel, but
> nothing for the 2.4.x kernel.
>
> Thanks,
> Travis
>

> Travis G. Haas, MCSE, CCNA
> Infrastructure Manager
> TopCoder, Inc.

(old-school)

echo <number> > /proc/sys/fs/file-max

(new-school)

edit /etc/sysctl.conf and add these lines:

# Bump max number of files
fs.file-max = <number>

You can combine old and new school to have the changes made immediately
without reboot and have it set automatically at subsequent reboots.

--
Chris Kloiber, RHCE
Enterprise Support - Red Hat, Inc.