Re: Install memory requirements on RedHat 7.1

On Wed, 11 Jul 2001, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:

>Yes, the memory requirments of the installer for RH7.x has gottem a bit
>large.  The install is easyer for new users, but the down side is that
>Red Hat doesn't install on minimal hardware any more.  It will actualy
>run on a system with less RAM then it takes to install it on.
>At this point, you ether have to install on a system with more RAM, and
>move the drive to the target system, or install a different
>distribution.  (Or an older version of Red Hat.)

There are always tradeoffs.  If people want to see the same
installer for every release with no improvements in useability or
features, then the install can continue to run on a 4Mb 386 in
the closet.  This is rediculous however to hold back improvements
for the majority userbase because there are 50 386 machines with
4Mb out there.  The improvements made to the distro reflect
_current_ computing trends.  Sure, it is nice to run on older
hardware, and you can, however how many years back should it be
compatible with?  Where should the line be on stopping new
features in the name of being able to run on ancient hardware?

I do not see any good reasons for upgrading an ancient system to
a modern release.  My firewall runs 6.2 and what would 7.1 give
me?  iptables.  I can upgrade my kernel for that and upgrade a
handful of packages.

If priorities are spent on maintaining compatibility back to
machines that are the minority of machines out there, then that
limits how many new features can be worked on in each release by
the available engineering resources (man hours, time, QA, etc.).

I think that 99% of users would prefer OS improvements for todays
hardware before legacy support of < 16MB && < Pentium class

Yes, it is cool and useful to support old machines as they are
still useful, however it isn't wise to spend any significant
amount of engineering effort doing so IMHO, when it can be spent
adding better USB support, and other modern hardware.  Especially
when there are existing distributions out there for installing on
older hardware.

That is my thoughts anyway, I'm sure others disagree, but that is
the good thing about Linux, there is something for everyone out

My "something" for ancient hardware currently is RHL 6.2.  The
next something I upgrade to will be the curb at the end of the
driveway.  ;o)

P.S.  Someone just gave me a *dual* 486-33 with 8Mb of RAM.
Heheheh.  Now I have an even better footrest.  ;o)  Also, 30 pin
SIMM's make excellent keychains.  You can take the SIMM sockets
off a 386/486 motherboard, mount it on a piece of wood, and have
a nice SIMM socket keychain holder on the wall just inside the
door.  Give all your friends SIMM keychains and have a cool nerd
keychain holder at your door to impress girls with.  ;o)  There,
now one of ya can take this idea, make them in bulk, start a
website, make lots of money selling the goofy idea (yes I have
one of these things), and then make enough money to upgrade your
computer to a machine that can run a recent distro.  <runs>

    Mike A. Harris  -  Linux advocate  -  Open Source advocate
       Opinions and viewpoints expressed are solely my own.