Re: heat sensors

On Wed, 11 Jul 2001, Andreas Lund wrote:

>Problems with overheating isn't limited to 1GHz and above, even a 486DX2/66
>can overheat if the heatsink is loose or the fan ball-bearings are worn out.
>(But once the problem appears, it's usually worse with higher freq's
>ofcourse)

I believe Intel 486DX50 and DX2/66 were the first processors to
require heatsink/fan for proper operation.  My AMD DX266 has no
heatsink or fan, and has uptimes of months (my firewall).  Any
chip since then from virtually anyone needs a heatsink and fan in
x86land pretty much.

Fortunately fans usually tell you to replace them by making
tonnes of annoying noise.  ;o)

    Mike A. Harris  -  Linux advocate  -  Open Source advocate
       Opinions and viewpoints expressed are solely my own.