Re: Linux friendly motherboard

On Mon, 16 Jul 2001, Christopher Keller wrote:

>Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2001 21:19:26 -0700
>From: Christopher Keller <cnkelle pacbell net>
>To: seawolf-list redhat com
>Subject: Linux friendly motherboard
>
>Apologies if this goes out twice. I don't understand why this is a
>closed list? Doesn't redhat realize people might be reading and
>repsonding to posts with different email addresses?

It isn't a closed list, it is a list open to subscription.  If
you want to post from another address, subscribe using that
address, and then go into mailman and configure the subscription
to not recieve postings.  Then you get email sent to one address
and can post from several.

The current list policies are pretty much standard practice with
lists nowadays, and are a huge SPAM deterrant.

>Quick question...
>
>Do any of the manufacturers make a linux friendly motherboard? I'm not
>sure what the definition of linux friendly is; maybe doesn't require
>MSDOS to upgrade?

To upgrade what exactly?

>I've tried both the ASUS and Abit, next time I'm going away
>from VIA.

Tyan makes great motherboards.

>I'm considering waiting for the Nvidia board (not a huge time
>constraint), but I'm not sure that will solve the problem.

Nvidia is hardly an open source friendly company IMHO.

>I realize that I could just keep an MSDOS floppy lying around,

For what?

>but I guess I'm interested in the principle of the matter.

What matter exactly?

>Is it possible to assemble a linux box (for any amount of
>money) that doesn't require some form of a microsoft product to
>maintain??

Yes, zero of my Linux boxes require any Microsoft products.
That goes from my lowly 486, K6200, K6-300, K5-133, and two dual
1Ghz P-III systems.  Most have no floppy drive also, I boot from
CD.  It has been at least several years since I needed an MSDOS
floppy for anything at all.  Not for Linux anyway.

No idea what it is you're specifically looking for, but any
hardware out there doesn't require any Microsoft OS to use Linux.

    Mike A. Harris  -  Linux advocate  -  Open Source advocate
       Opinions and viewpoints expressed are solely my own.