Re: Linux friendly motherboard

On Tue, 17 Jul 2001, Mike A. Harris wrote:

> Yes, zero of my Linux boxes require any Microsoft products.

Same here, but...

> That goes from my lowly 486, K6200, K6-300, K5-133, and two dual
> 1Ghz P-III systems.  Most have no floppy drive also, I boot from
> CD.  It has been at least several years since I needed an MSDOS
> floppy for anything at all.

If you want to update your BIOS, you'll usually need a DOS disk - but
there's no reason to use MS-DOS, especially not if DR-DOS (which was much
better anyway) is freely downloadable.
ftp://ftp.lineo.com/pub/drdos/DR-DOS.703

(Or you just use FreeDOS (http://www.freedos.org/) which is even Open
Source - but last time I checked, it wasn't in a state where I'd trust it
to update my firmware without crashing).

LLaP
bero