Re: Attn RedHat: Requesting BIND update

Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:

> DM> So, to rephrase the original question: When shall we see bind-9.1.3
> DM> package in the updates/ directory?
>
> My guess is that it will be after those who say they are having problems
> have downloaded the package from rawhide and reported that it solves their
> problems.
>
> If your problems are bad enough, why would you ignore the suggested (by Red
> Hat) fix?  I assume that since you're having trouble you've been through
> Bugzilla and so have seen the recommendations by Red Hat people to try the
> rawhide package, so what reasons would you have for not trusting that
> recommendation?  And if you don't trust Red Hat personnel, then why are you
> waiting for them to drop a package in updates?  Why not just build your own
> package?

Oh, boy... it's not about trusting or not trusting, it's about the whole idea
of /updates/ and rawhide. If the package is stable and fixes the problem, why
not just put it in /updates/ instead of pointing at rawhide. People might get
the wrong idea and start getting other packages from rawhide, which are not
necessarily stable. Oops.
When I see something in /updates/ I trust the RedHat people that it's stable.
When pointed at RawHide I have some doubts. That's how it should be IMHO.

--
"Jump. Jump, now!"
	-- Kosh to Sheridan in Babylon 5:"Z'ha'dum"