Re: Linux friendly motherboard

Mike, that's for the info on multiple subscriptions. Was too blantantly
obvious for me to see.

Bero, the BIOS was it. I did realize that I forgot to actually mention
the word BIOS in the update portion.

I briefly looked over drdos (will test later), but it seemed that I
needed a DOS/windows installation to unpack the tools and run them
(DISKCOPY, SYS, etc) to actually create the DRDOS boot disk. Granted,
once you do that the first time, you are pretty much MS free. I do have
access to a windows box here at work that I can try DRDOS from, so i
guess it's a moot point in the end. I'm just surprised that there isn't
a reliable (non-beta) way to create a bootable MSDOS floppy from
unix/linux; something like mkdosbootdsk....

Or am I woefully misinformed?

Also, Mike, I looked at Tyan, but the only non-VIA motherboard I saw ws
the dual CPU Thunder? Still debating whether or not I dislike VIA enough
to purchase two new CPU's and a new motherboard.

Thanks for the info...

On 17 Jul 2001 18:56:14 +0200, Bernhard Rosenkraenzer wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Jul 2001, Mike A. Harris wrote:
> > Yes, zero of my Linux boxes require any Microsoft products.
> Same here, but...
> > That goes from my lowly 486, K6200, K6-300, K5-133, and two dual
> > 1Ghz P-III systems.  Most have no floppy drive also, I boot from
> > CD.  It has been at least several years since I needed an MSDOS
> > floppy for anything at all.
> If you want to update your BIOS, you'll usually need a DOS disk - but
> there's no reason to use MS-DOS, especially not if DR-DOS (which was much
> better anyway) is freely downloadable.
> ftp://ftp.lineo.com/pub/drdos/DR-DOS.703
> (Or you just use FreeDOS (http://www.freedos.org/) which is even Open
> Source - but last time I checked, it wasn't in a state where I'd trust it
> to update my firmware without crashing).

Christopher Keller
"What's the matter Colnel Sanders? Chicken?"