Re: Attn RedHat: Requesting BIND update

On Tue, Jul 17, 2001 at 11:36:49AM +0200, Dominik Mierzejewski wrote:

> > DM> So, to rephrase the original question: When shall we see bind-9.1.3
> > DM> package in the updates/ directory?
> >
> > My guess is that it will be after those who say they are having problems
> > have downloaded the package from rawhide and reported that it solves their
> > problems.
> >
> > If your problems are bad enough, why would you ignore the suggested (by Red
> > Hat) fix?  I assume that since you're having trouble you've been through
> > Bugzilla and so have seen the recommendations by Red Hat people to try the
> > rawhide package, so what reasons would you have for not trusting that
> > recommendation?  And if you don't trust Red Hat personnel, then why are you
> > waiting for them to drop a package in updates?  Why not just build your own
> > package?
> Oh, boy... it's not about trusting or not trusting, it's about the whole idea
> of /updates/ and rawhide. If the package is stable and fixes the problem, why
> not just put it in /updates/ instead of pointing at rawhide. People might get
> the wrong idea and start getting other packages from rawhide, which are not
> necessarily stable. Oops.
> When I see something in /updates/ I trust the RedHat people that it's stable.
> When pointed at RawHide I have some doubts. That's how it should be IMHO.

I think part of the idea behind the publicly available rawhide tree is
New code is compiled into rawhide.  This is then used internally for
testing and made available for the public.  We(the public) are welcome to
download and install the rawhide packages if we want to test it.  It may be
helpful or it may break your system.  If there are any problems we report
them and help with the testing effort.  If there is a security problem I am
sure redhat allocates lots of QA testing resources to get the package into
updates ASAP.  Otherwise new features are available for "beta" testers in
rawhide and problems are addressed.  We are part of the QA test effort that
will get packages moved to updates.

Chuck Moss
p.s. sorry for the ramble, it was clear and concise in my mind before I
started typing ;-)