Re: NIS Mounts not mounting correctly

On Wed, Jul 18, 2001 at 11:29:54AM -0700, Taylor, ForrestX wrote:
> > Good Afternoon,
> >    I have read the message boards and I am still stumped.  I
> > have a RH7.1
> > full install, ypbind and autofs is working.  I have added
> > /usr/sbin/rpc.mount.d and /usr/sbin/nfsd 3 to my rc.local file.
> > When I start up I am only able to mount the home directories
> > from my NIS
> > server which is a Solaris 2.6 box.  The other 2 mount points
> > are created
> > but I am unable to see anything or get past the main mount
> > point, i.e. cd
> > /usr/local/  works but not cd /usr/local/bin.  Those mount points are
> > /usr/local and /projects.  I can also only log onto the
> > machine as root.  I
> > have also insured authconfig allows authentication for NIS.
> >
> > Any help would be most appreciated.
> >
> > Tom
>
> What does your /etc/auto.master look like?  Can you manually mount the
> directories at /usr/local/bin and /projects (i.e. do you have permission to
> do so)?  Take a look at /var/log/messages to see if you have any errors
> relating to this.  What does /etc/yp.conf look like?  Does "domainname" give
> the correct NIS Domain?  Is ypbind running?  You should be able to run
> ntsysv and add any services you want at boot (including nfsd, ypbind,
> portmapper, etc.).  Do you have a firewall running?
>
> Forrest
I have other concerns. the nfs daemons are started by the script nsf in /etc/rc.d/init.d.
--Not in rc.local. We need to see the exports file on the nfs server. The following statement
makes no sense:
 but I am unable to see anything or get past the main mount
 > > point, i.e. cd
 > > /usr/local/  works but not cd /usr/local/bin.
 /usr/local would have to be ther as directory before the mount. Not being able to go to
 /usr/local/bin means the mount failed. Is nfslock from inetd.d being started? The error messages
 would be useful.
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University